SB 250 - Child Hunger Prevention and Fair Treatment Act
Senate Bill 250, the Child Hunger Prevention and Fair Treatment Act, will ensure that school officials do not delay or deny food to punish students whose parents have unpaid school meal fees and would require districts to publish their policies for notifying and collecting debts from parents who have not paid school meal fees.
The bill's author, Senator Robert Hertzberg, said: “We know that hunger undercuts a child’s ability to learn and succeed in school. We also know that embarrassing children in front of peers can destroy their self-confidence. That is why it’s important to stop school lunch shaming and create a different approach for tackling lunch fee debt.”
Latest News and Updates
- 09/01/2017: Passed Assembly Appropriations Committee
- 06/28/2017: Passed Assembly Education Committee
- 06/01/17: In Assembly. Read first time. Held at Desk.
- 05/31/17: Read third time. Passed. (Ayes 39. Noes 0.) Ordered to the Assembly.
- 05/26/17: Published May 26 at 10 a.m.
- 05/26/17: Read second time and amended. Ordered to third reading.
- 05/25/17: From committee: Do pass as amended. (Ayes 7. Noes 0.) (May 25).
- 02/08/17: SB 250 was introduced by Senator Robert Hertzberg.
Shoot an email
Use our email tool to send a message to your representatives urging their support of SB 250.
Tweet a Tweet
Use our Twitter tool to quickly and easily make sure your followers know your stance on SB 250.
Children's Defense Fund-California
Western Center on Law & Poverty
Western Center on Law & Poverty, California’s oldest and largest legal services support center, was created in 1967 by a passionate group of attorneys and legal scholars from USC, UCLA and Loyola law schools. http://www.wclp.org/
Coalition of California Welfare Rights Organizations
The Coalition of California Welfare Rights Organizations, Inc. (CCWRO) is a statewide nonprofit organization thathas been providing advocacy in the public benefits field since the early 1980s.
Michele leads CDF-CAs End Child Poverty campaign and directs organizational communications efforts.
Sr. Policy & Government Affairs Manager
Caliph is CDF-CA’s chief political strategist and spokesperson in the state Capitol.