SB 250 - Child Hunger Prevention and Fair Treatment Act (2017)
Senate Bill 250, the Child Hunger Prevention and Fair Treatment Act, will ensure that school officials do not delay or deny food or publicly shame students whose parents have unpaid school meal fees.
The bill's author, Senator Robert Hertzberg, said: “We know that hunger undercuts a child’s ability to learn and succeed in school. We also know that embarrassing children in front of peers can destroy their self-confidence. That is why it’s important to stop school lunch shaming and create a different approach for tackling lunch fee debt.”
Update: This bill was signed into law by the Governor and will take effect January 1, 2018.
Latest News and Updates
Signed into law!
- 10/12/17: Signed into law by the Governor. Read a press release from Senator Hertzberg.
- 9/13/17: Unanimously voted out of the Assembly.
- 9/01/17: Passed Assembly Appropriations Committee.
- 6/21/17: Passed Assembly Education Committee unanimously.
- 5/31/17: Unanimously voted out of the Senate.
- 5/25/17: Passed the Senate Appropriations Committee.
- 3/15/17: Passed the Senate Education Committee unanimously.
- 2/08/17: SB 250 was introduced by Senator Robert Hertzberg.
Children's Defense Fund-California
Western Center on Law & Poverty
Western Center on Law & Poverty, California’s oldest and largest legal services support center, was created in 1967 by a passionate group of attorneys and legal scholars from USC, UCLA and Loyola law schools. http://www.wclp.org/
Coalition of California Welfare Rights Organizations
The Coalition of California Welfare Rights Organizations, Inc. (CCWRO) is a statewide nonprofit organization thathas been providing advocacy in the public benefits field since the early 1980s.
Michele leads CDF-CAs End Child Poverty campaign and directs organizational communications efforts.
Sr. Policy & Government Affairs Manager
Caliph is CDF-CA’s chief political strategist and spokesperson in the state Capitol.